Monday, May 5, 2008

"Expectations Parents Have For You"

All parents have different expectations, goals for their children, but they all agree on one thing. They want the best for their children. Most parents didn't really have the opportunity or the money to go to college and become what they wanted to be. They dont want their children to be the same story. They want their children to be succesful in their life, to graduate from college and become a profesional. Parents dont want their children to go throug all the things they went to. Things like having to jobs because the money wasn't enought to support the family or having the nesesity of moving somewhere else because they couldn't pay their own appartment. Sometimes they realize that what they think is best for us is not what we need.

when parents focust to much on our education to become what they want sometimes affects our own education or even interfiar with our own goals. Everyone has their own goal or expectations in life, but sometimes the pressure of making our parents proud make us lose those expectations. I dont want to be a lawyer when i grow up, but that's what my mother expects from me. I dont want to dissapoint her in any aspect. I think that she doesnt realize that i can also make my own decisions, that i also have dreams and plans. This preassure of making her proud sometimes affects my education. I start to think about why should i be what she want me to be and not what i want to be.

In some way im living my mother's expectations for me. In order to do this I go to school everyday because i also want to become a profecional. Not exacly a lawyer, but I know she wants the best for me so to acomplish what she wants for me i try to write a lot of essays. I know that to be a lawyer you need to be able to read and write a lot. Thats one of the things i dont really like about being a lawyer. Reading for me is not really something i enjoy a lot but i like writing. I think that writing is a way of expresing your self when words cant tell. I also try not to do things agains the law. Things such as cheat on a text or even cut school. Sometimes im afraid of not be able to do wat she wants me to do.

I think that everyone has it's own talent. I dont think i have found mines yet but maybe the fact that i write a lot might be part of it. Sometimes i give my mom short storys i made so she can tell me her opinion about it, but she doesnt really pays attention to it. She doesnt have the time to read everything i give her, but every time i give her something to read she always says is good and she expects me to be working as hard i as can in school. I also have another talent. Well thats what i think, i like playing soccer a lot. I can spend hours playing soccer and wont get tired or bored. Since i was in 8 grade i used to play soccer in a team. We won, but she thinks that soccer is just a sport to have fun not a carrer. She thinks that with soccer im not going enywhere. At some point i undertand her, she wants me to become a profecional not just someone that have fun playing and dont have eny other carrer.

If i was to choose what i want to be a lawyer or a soccer player, i would choose a lawyer. I know that this is not what i wanted to be but sometimes we just can not think in our selfs. We should also think about those who have give everything they have for us to have a better education. The preassure that parents put on us sometimes bring us down because we afraid not to be succesful and to dissapoint them, but i belief that when you really want something you should always fight for it dont give up at the first problem because it would only make you stronger. Always be who you are not what others want to see.

No comments: